Thursday, January 20, 2011

A List Among Lists

Well hello there! Its been a long while since I've done any sort of update on the "27 in my 27th" list so I'm here to do some recap for all of you who are still interested. (Hi, Mom!) I'm going to blame my lack of "Return and Report"-ing to the fact that I'm currently surrounded by at least three "To Do" lists for various responsibilities...and its gettin' kind of crazy around here. Still--you deserve to hear how things are going!


Earlier this week I ventured up to the Red Cross to give my last blood donation before the next birthday hits. Giving blood was my way to cross #26 Practice Civic Responsibility in a Tangible Way off the list. When I made that goal I think I initially imagined it would have something to do with the politics of this country--being a more informed voter, participating in a campaign, etc. But politics lately have made me want to eat my own eyeballs, so getting stuck with a needle suddenly didn't look too bad. You can give blood every 60 days, and I've tried to go as soon as my 60 days were up. I did hit a bit of a speed bump in November/December. I
attempted to give blood on two different occasions, but was turned away--once for low iron (Need to eat more hamburgers!) and once for low blood pressure (WHAT?!). But I passed muster this week and proudly showed off my red bandage and sticker. Give blood. Save a life.

Going right down the list, I crossed off #27 Do Something That Makes Me Feel Like a Kid Again during Christmas break. I probably should have made my little sister stay up all night long on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa--playing games, reading, and watching the time slooooowly creep by. But we were both exhausted and, in fact, our parents had to wake US up on Christmas morning. Instead I went back to something I did a lot as a kid--stay up way too late reading book after book after book. When's the last time you did that?! So fun. For Christmas I gifted myself the opportunity to read the Hunger Games series. I devoured them (figuratively, of course) and stayed up late reading. With my bedside lamp on and the hour growing increasingly late...I felt like a kiddo--but instead of reading about the the Sweet Valley Twins or Nancy Drew's sleuthing I was reading about Katniss and Peeta and the Capitol. It was so fun, and so full of happy.Finally, I can happily report I've been working very hard on #24 Send Thank-you Cards. This is definitely a dying art, and I doubt my influence is large enough to change the world entirely. However, I have made a concerted effort to remember to write out a card and send it along to the fine people who deserve my show of gratitude. (And if I missed you, please don't read this to mean that you didn't deserve gratitude. Interpret the lack of Thank You card as me not achieving perfection. Again.) Its really not hard, and it really doesn't take long. And I really do believe it makes a difference. Let it be noted that I have no intention of ceasing this practice just because I've reported in to the Blogosphere. For example, if you bring me a birthday present next month I will make every effort to reward your kindness with a handwritten note. Win-Win-WIN!

There's just about a month left and by my figuring, I've got 11 more goals to achieve--or at least to tell you about. Here's hoping the next 30 days are truly productive! (Especially that pesky #12...)

3 comments:

Emily Richards said...

Are you well on your way to that #12?? I'm just taking a wild guess at what it is :)

And way to go on giving blood. That is always something I feel sorta guilty about not doing.

Arianne said...

I like your list of goals--and I'm impressed that you've been working on them. For #12, I can start checking out the singles ward here and maybe you can have a magical kiss in San Antonio! (although, I won't want you to go hang out with a stranger on one of the precious nights you're here...and it might be awkward to kiss if I'm there...hmm...)

RSP said...

I have a friend who writes thank you notes ALL the time! Not just to me... I've discussed it with mutual friends and they all get them too. She even has her kids color pictures and includes them sometimes. It amazes me and I'm never more excited to find one in my mailbox (even though she lives about 2 blocks away). I've tried to return the favor, and HAVE done it a few times, but she is always outdoing me. She even sends thank you notes for being her friend. Keep it up- it's awesome.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com