Thursday, December 31, 2009

The 2009 Top Ten

It's time for everybody's favorite yearly rundown of my life. As always, totally odd to look back over the past 365 days and consider everything that has happened. 2009 did not prove as dramatic as previous years, but its definitely been busier than any other year I've made it through thus far.

And so, in no particular order, the 2009 Top Ten!

1. Relief Society President: I was called as the R.S. Pres in January and thus began one of the busiest years of life. The job is amazing and a great blessing, but the work never stops and is never done. Crazy.

2. The Stake musical: I'm a star!! Okay, so it was a lowly stake musical revue, but it was awesome to be back on stage--even if just the stage at a church building. Singing Popular as the somewhat-evil fairy godmother was delicious. And I had hot red heels on. Plus, I got to know some great people in my stake and tried some things I never had before. It was super fun.

3. National Boards: At the end of the last school year I was accepted as a candidate for the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards. The process is...insane. And on countless occasions I have wished I didn't get involved in the first place. But here I am--writing papers, analyzing videos of myself, going to epic classes, and working-working-working. I just hope it all pays off in the end.

4. National Parks Roadtrip: This summer, with Andrea's help, I finally visited one--in fact three!--National Parks. I love a good roadtrip and this one was a blast. And now I can cross Bryce Canyon, Zions National Park, and the Grand Canyon off the life list.

5. Family Changes: 2009 was a big year for our little "clan." We had three additions in the way of a niece, a brother-in-law, and another nephew--in that order. And how we love them all! I'll admit, though, its still weird to have my littler little sister married. Plus, my little big brother, Jon, headed out on his mission. Family life around the ol' Homestead is definitely a little bit different these days.

6. Moving Day: On October 31st, I moved out of the lovely townhouse I'd been inhabiting for over a year. Lori and Sam got hitched (YAY!) and so Erin and I got the boot. I moved into the basement of a delightful house further South. Best parts of this whole thing? My morning commute is only 7 minutes long now and I got a new bed!

7. Disneyland x 2: The family headed to California in February for a weekend in Disneyland. We had so much fun, that a smaller group of us headed back down in December for trip #2. I love Disneyland!!

8. Chastity Party: Party of the year. An uber-Mormon gathering of chaste singles celebrating their high moral standards with sugar overload and hilarious games/activities. If you weren't there, you wish you were.

9. Half-marathon Madness: I ran my first half marathon in April without my trusty running partner. To make up for it, Abby and I rejoined forces in August to tackle the Top of Utah Half. Each time has been really awesome, and I know I need to register for another one and jump back into training.

10. Nose Job: I promise it was not cosmetic, but June found me going under the knife to correct a "pre-existing medical condition." I discovered the joys of Loratab and the insane length of time it takes to really heal from nose surgery. Goodness. But things are much better now. Yay for medical advances!

I feel a need to at least make mention of some other things/events that made 2009 so memorable. And so, in our Honorable Mention category: Appearing on the front page of the newspaper, New York City, Jamba Juice first dates, Twilight RiffTrax, Crafting, Pedicures, and Glee.

Here's to a great 2010!

2 comments:

Erin said...

What no "call me" label!?

Meredith said...

Love the honorable mentions...especially Glee! What is the Twiglight Rifftrax you mentioned?

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com