Monday, May 16, 2011

"I beg of you not to look at me directly."

I went to Lagoon on Friday as a chaperone to my former students. Its still the best day of the school year and I will continue to go every year they will let me. Skyler came along and I discovered that returning to my old stomping grounds NOT as a teacher (Though still as an adult who wields hardcore discipline power!), meant I became something of a mini-celebrity. The kids were SO happy to see me! I would never have got the excited, waving, "HEY!" reaction I got when the kids saw me in line for Dracula's Castle had I still been the resident US History Teacher. I also don't think they would have given me all the sordid details of life at SHMS quite so candidly.

Skyler is pretty much My Favorite every day. Just thought I'd update you on that front.

Today my boss asked me to cut out a bunch of Civil War Paper Dolls (History. It relates!), so I spent nearly three hours patiently cutting up characters and awesome costumes. I did so while catching up on my shows via Hulu. Thank goodness for online TV. Though watching last week's Bones episode nearly had me in fits. I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY DID THAT TO MY FAVORITE CHARACTER OF THE SEASON!!!!! GRR!!!

I tried a Zero candy bar for the first time tonight. Interesting. Not bad. Sugary. And it reconfirmed my decision that eating an entire candy bar is just...too much. I shared this one and even that was leaning on the side of "too much."

I love taking Fridays off work.

Sometimes you just have to savor the simple things in life. For example, toast and jam. I had some with my dinner this evening (Omelets, in case you were wondering.) and just...mmmmm. Its so good! A classic that never gets old.

One of my faves got engaged this weekend. Yay!! I'm super excited for him, and I really like his fiancee, so there's little to NOT love and support. Year of the Cake Plate!!

Finally, I watched Snoopy, Come Home last night. This is a movie that debuted circa 1972--a feature-length Peanuts cartoon that has NOSTALGIA written all over it, at least in my book. I think we watched the VHS of this movie EVERY time we spent the night at Grandma & Grandpa P.'s. Even if we spent an afternoon there, we'd try to watch it. All I needed was chicken noodle soup and the old child size vinyl table and it would have been 1987 all over again.

Images from here and here

4 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I'm glad Skyler's your favorite. It makes me WAY happy for you! :) Also, ZERO bars (along with peanut M&M's) were how I put on 20 lbs. one summer. Back in the Pennsylvania summer camp days, I would purchase a 5 lb. bag of M&M's and a box of ZERO bars every week. Yup. Every week. They were my vice for sure. Lagoon makes me happy. Glad you enjoyed your new-found popularity!

Unknown said...

I love that you were a celebrity at Lagoon. It just doesn't get much better than that. ;)

Greg and Nancy said...

We are also sad over the demise of Mr. Vincent Nigel-Murray. Then again, I'm still traumatized about what happened to Zack Addy....

Emily said...

It's been a few since I visited your blog.. I just wanted to say HI- it's been fun stopping by :) I love the "random things" post--espcially about the iPod earbuds, I have the same tragedy!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com