Monday, April 18, 2011

Loves me this Job!

In an attempt to illustrate to the Blog world why my job is the cat's pajamas, I'm going to update this Blog post on an hourly basis today--telling you what I do hour by hour, on this, a fairly normal day at the office.

Hour One: First off, this is awesome because hour one starts at 8:00 am. Mucho better than the 7:30 call time I had for years. Anyway, in hour one of the day I had a mini-meeting with The Boss which involved us shootin' the breeze about High School Musical On Stage and my BF, and then discussing a few important matters that need to be dealt with today. I sent a couple Emails about an upcoming "Movie Morning" with our participants, and readied a few Primary Resources for my archives project. I also figured out how to add members to my wikispace.

Hour Two: I twice emailed my contact at Apple.com to hopefully nudge him along on getting me a quote for some of our materials (Yay for iPods!). I sent an Email to one of our teachers who is withdrawing from the program and then went through all our materials to change things up due to her absence. In the midst of doing that, I decided to finalize our picture directory and figure out how to get it printed.

Hour Three: Picture directory! And the daily apple break. Today I consumed a Gala--one of my favorites.

Hour Four: I semi-finalized the picture directory. Still waiting on a few things before beginning the printing process (Might be tomorrow). I also made some copies for our Master Teacher, made a few orders through Noreen (Secretary Extraordinaire!) and left for my lunch meeting with the JHAT Team.

Hour Five: Lunch meeting at the SIZZLER :) Let it be noted that I ate too much. Let it be further noted that eating too much is something of a habit with me...

Hour Six: With my trusty colleague in crime, Judy, I completed a last-minute assignment from The Boss about what the district history department has provided to the schools in the past year. I attached pictures to the Email and SKIDOOSH!--on to the next...which happened to be Primary Source research for the archives project. The main focus this hour was on Revolutionary War-period pieces. Luckily I remembered a great website from UEN.org that was chock full o' good stuff! Letters from a Loyalist lady, anyone? Don't mind if I do!

[Editor's note: I am tired. A nap sounds really good right now.]

Hour Seven: Archives. Archives. Archives.

[Editor's note #2: I really, really, really want a nap...I think the events of Hour Five are to blame for this overwhelming lethargy.]

Hour Eight: Archiving again! It takes a while--trust me. Not only do I have to seek out good resources, but I usually have to read through them and make larger journal entries, articles, documents, etc. into readable excerpts appropriate to a 5th grade audience. I think my eyes may very well be bloodshot after so many hours of intently staring at a computer screen.

But now! It is the blessed hour--4:00 pm. I get to go home. I get to go home without any papers to grade, lessons to plan, or work-related issues on my mind (for the most part). And that, ladies and gentlemen, is yet another reason why I loves me this job! Lots and lots and lots.

Picture from here

0 comments:

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com