Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reel Time Rundown

For the last seven days I've been "out o' commission" and forced to chillax. Just laying around on the couch, recliner, floor, or bed can get boring. Luckily, I've had my movie friends to keep me company and combat the inevitable boredom. You may have met some of these guys--Horton the Elephant? Benjamin Franklin Gates? James Bond?

Here's a rundown of my week's worth of DVD viewings...and a few thoughts on each.

1. Casino Royale: Best James Bond movie to date. Daniel Craig is adorable and the movie is fan-freakin'-tastic

2. Dante's Peak: Remember when every studio seemed to be making disaster flicks? Remember when Linda Hamilton was actually a movie star? Ah, the good old days. Of all disaster movies, this is in my Top 3.

3. TaraRoad: Based on the Maeve Binchy novel of the same name, this is a delightful fluff piece. You'll probably enjoy it and never need to see it again.

4. National Treasure 2--Book of Secrets: I may be everyone's favorite history teacher, but this was my first viewing of the National Treasure sequel. I'd give it a solid "meh" because the story was absurd and Riley wasn't as funny as number one.

5. Horton Hears a Who: I loved the animation and it was actually a better movie than I was expecting. Enjoyable and I could see myself watching it again sometime in the future. I also love the bright orange packaging it comes in.

6. Loving Leah: This is a Hallmark Hall of Fame "made for TV" movie my sister DVR'd for me a while back. Its cheesy--its Hallmark--but I really liked it. She's DVR'd another show for me so this one will get taped over. *sigh* That just means I'll have to shell out $25 and buy my own copy on DVD. Such is life.

7. The Other Side of Heaven: I figured I needed something spiritual on Sunday and I hadn't watched this one in a while. I love it. Not gonna lie. And I still get a little choked up when Feki tells the "Hurrah for Israel!" story.

8. First 8 Episodes of Criminal Minds, Season 1: I'm watching the show from the beginning to see the storyline of Dr. Spencer Reid and the beauty of Matthew Gray Gubler. And I am not ashamed to admit it.

9. Where Angels Fear to Tread: Movies based on classic novels that are made by the British always seem a little weird. This one was no exception. Not entirely unenjoyable but I'm sure I won't be watching it again. Gino was adorable, but then again...he was supposed to be quite the charmer. Props to the casting department.

10. The Great Debaters: If I remember correctly, I tried to see this at least twice in the theaters only to be foiled each time. I finally watched it tonight and found it incredibly moving and brilliantly acted. What kind of person can watch this sort of true story unfold and not get a little teary?! Loved it.

In process: I'm currently watching one of my Disney favorites, 101 Dalmatians. I'll keep you posted, but I'm pretty sure they're going to stick it to Cruella by the end.

P to the S: Does anyone know of a movie website set up like Goodreads? I love seeing what people are reading and I'd love to see what people are watching too.

4 comments:

Elisa said...

I would be very interested in a movie version of Goodreads.

Kristin said...

I love Criminal Minds!! My favorite is the banter between Morgan and Garcia!

John Stamos said...

No love...

Anna said...

I'm a huge fan of Daniel Craig as James Bond--great character development + he's good looking. Have you seen Quantum of Solace yet?

And if you find a movie version of good reads that would be fabulous. Somewhat close is Rotten Tomatoes...which has both critics' reviews and reviews by regular people. But I'd prefer reviews by my friends, whose taste I trust.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com