Friday, June 5, 2009

A Bit of a Spree

If money did grow on trees, I don't think I'd actually need an evergreen variety. My money tree could be a deciduous tree--a nice oak or maple--because my spending habits seem to go seasonally as well. I will save like a scrooge for months at a time, and then spend like a mad devil for a couple week before the cycle starts over again. Since beginning a stringent budgeting plan in August, I've found my money is freed up more than I imagined. Life before the budget was just me looking at my accounts, seeing money and then spending willy-nilly. I always made sure I had money before spending it, but this isn't very responsible use of funds. The budget gives me the security of knowing what specific fund the money is coming from, and its easier to keep track of my habits. Overall--I suggest a budget. Its really quite fabulous.

But that's not what this post is about! The real joy of budgeting is that I get to buy stuff. And I'm so excited about the things I've purchased in this most recent spending spree. So fun!
First up--a bike! I am so excited about this purchase! I had a bike growing up, but we gave it to Deseret Industries when I graduated from high school because I was going to college and never rode it anyway. So I've bought myself a new one, plus a helmet, a lock, and a bike pump. I'm hoping to ride around town a bit this summer--the library, the pool, the gym, etc. I took it for a quick trip to the library this afternoon and it was FABULOUS!

I renewed my season tickets to Pioneer Theater this week. They have a great deal--7 shows for $70 when you sit in the balcony. I have no prob with this and I love seeing a good show. It also gives me an excuse to go out on the town with one of my BFFs once a month or so. Woohoo! I also feel okay about this because a)its only $70, and b)I'm not renewing with Hale Center for next year. That frees up a few hundred bucks in the Entertainment Budget!

I started swimming laps at the gym once a week about a month or so ago. I've got the swim cap and goggles, but I always felt silly in my beach bathing suit. So it was with great pleasure that I handed over the cash for a racer back swimsuit that fits into the gym pool a little better than my flowered Hawaiian suit. Yay! I love it.

No, I didn't purchase Manhattan like Peter Minuit. Rather, I purchased a plane ticket to the Big Apple. YAY! I'm headed out in mid-July to visit friends and I'm awfully excited about it. I love New York and last year's trip was fabulous but too short to get in all that I wanted to do. This year we WILL walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and I now know I need to LOAD UP on the Gummy Scottie dogs from Dylan's Candy Store. Live and learn and go back to do it right.

Finally, I gave in to the pleading and urging of many friends and family members and went for my first pedicure. And, of course, I loved it. My toes are so pretty! Considering my toes are naturally UGLY, this is really saying something. I love it and I'll probably get another one before the summer is over. If not two...

SPEND! SPEND! SPEND!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

All fabulous purchases! Well done.

RSP said...

The introduction to pedicures, once ventured, cannot be reversed. They are heavenly and make your feet feel oh so good! Also, we will be in the NYC for most of July.... perhaps we will run into you there:)

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com